Monday, June 20, 2011

Module 3 blogMODULE 3 BLOG-DATABASE


MODULE 3 BLOG-DATABASE

This assignment will greatly dissipate copious hours of searching for evidence base practice information regarding psychiatric disorders. As a psychiatric mental health advanced practice nurse we are expected to keep up on disorders, medications, advanced neuropsychological findings and more. Learning how to utilize the databases to their capacity has increased my confidence in finding the necessary material to meet my assignments.
It seems I take my educational career in decades. As an associate degree nurse we did not have such luxuries as computerized databases at our fingertips. We had computers but sole for typing word documents. All research was done by going to the library and finding Nursing Journals, perusing multitudes of them in hopes to find 1-2 peer reviewed articles for the course work. During the bachelors program we did have database availability but until recently I was not familiar with the great extent these search programs were capable of.
I know I will utilize what I referred to the “dreaded PubMed” now I understand the rudimentary application. I will make a point to continue to learn more in order to improve my research potential, and alleviate a lot of frustration. I will appreciate this feature most when I begin my synthesis project in my final semester.
My favorite part of the database is the ability to store my findings and use a citation machine as well. This will save enormous amounts of time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment