Thursday, July 28, 2011

Module 6 July 27, 2010

 
Module 6 information reminded me that I had forgotten the extent of plagiarism. I always remember to cite another’s work. However, I had forgotten paraphrasing is taking advantage of another’s hard work. Included in the plagiaristic faux pas I didn’t realize omitting a citation from your personal work is also considered plagiarism. To pursue strong code of conduct in writing is to follow citation etiquette.
Journalistic etiquette is to always give credit where and to whom it is due. Copyright is also considered an infringement if one uses another’s work for their own benefit. A great example of infringement was the commercial using “Mickey Mouse” (copyright of Walt Disney) as described in the NPR podcast copyright infringement is using a person, place, or thing without asking permission. It is unacceptable to plagiarize or infringe on something another person has toiled over without giving them notoriety or asking permission (module 5 policy and ethical issues ppt. slide 13).
In saying that I did find it a bit confusing while listening to the NPR podcast on plagiarism. The gentleman in my opinion offered number of loopholes to plagiarism in comparison to the literature readings regarding plagiarism, including the power point. I for one wholeheartedly disagree that plagiarism being the best form of flattery. As an artist, I was not cajoled when others copied my work. When my customers found it difficult to know whose work was the original and money went into the other’s pocket on my hard work I did not find it flattering. The bottom line as so eloquently stated by the  gentleman on the podcast when money is involved it is a sour “source" particularly cases when not giving credit where credit is due. Personally albeit acceptable for those using artistic license and freedom of creating new art from old style leaves me to shudder and unlike Van Gogh I could not lend an ear to this plagiaristic debauchery.
Finally another source of interest were "10 tips to secure your laptop" (Strom, 2007). I’ve heard about people getting into your computer say at a coffee shop or even the university. Caught unaware of the “evil twin” to access your personal information was quite the eye opener. I do not have a criminal mind so I had no idea what can be "hacked or jacked" from my computer. I've been curious if my neighbor could get into my computer through WiFi, perhaps he might want to revamp my blog site or with any luck do my homework, but it is good to know how to safeguard by using WPA2. 
This is my last post for this season and with having been enlightened to the world wide web, and all that informatics has given us I say "hang ten, and keep on surfin."

No comments:

Post a Comment